A slightly belated edit – but I want to bring to your attention that Cooking Light, on Test Kitchen Secrets is asking food fellow bloggers to blog about their regional cuisine and send them a link to their post – who knows, you just may be spotlighted on the Cooking Light Test Kitchen Blog!

When we talked about doing regional cuisine for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club – I thought to myself what could I do? What is the north country where I live well known for besides Cheese Curd & Crogan Bologna?? All I could come up with was Maple Syrup. Any recipe involving cheese curd or crogan bologna would not have been Cooking Light friendly! Cooking Light had a Double Maple Cupcake recipe that I had been looking at and it was the perfect dessert to bring to our table!

When I was a teen my dad took on the adventure of syrup making upon himself. He and a friend did just enough to give both families enough syrup. Then, when my boys were little, their dad and I took them on a weekend adventure where they were able to experience the syrup making process. One thing we tried that weekend was “wax on snow” – something I remember my Nanny talking about. “Wax on Snow” is where you pour the syrup that has boiled down (while it is hot) on top of snow. It creates a sticky gooey sweet waxy type substance that is way too yummy! Grumpy and I now buy our syrup from a cousin who produces the best light amber maple syrup. We always have this in our fridge for my many recipes I use it in such as Maple Walnut Banana Bread, Maple Walnut Biscotti, NY Works Pork Chops, Bread and Granola just to name a few! One of the best ways I enjoyed maple syrup as a young girl was with my mom’s fried cake doughnuts. We would dip the doughnut in the syrup to soak it up and devour them! I also remember my Nanny and Poppy would love the raised doughnuts with maple frosting. So, as you can see, maple syrup is widely used in my home!

Below is the type of dishes we made along with a link to each virtual supper club member’s blot. Make sure you click on their names to visit their blog and see what they brought to the table.

Appetizer – Val: Bruschetta with Peaches and Brie

2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cupcakes, beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine milk and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare the frosting, beat 3 tablespoons maple syrup and next 4 ingredients (syrup through 1/8 teaspoon salt) at medium speed of a mixer 1 minute. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating just until blended (do not overbeat). Spread the frosting over cupcakes.

1. Finsmom August 5, 2009 at 4:35 am - Reply

Those look gorgeous!

2. Cristine August 5, 2009 at 4:38 am - Reply

YUM! Those cupcakes look insanely good!

3. Fallon August 5, 2009 at 4:40 am - Reply

Mm! I love maple syrup but I'm use to it on just pancakes or waffles. Never made into some dessert. I'm definitely bookmarking this page for further use!

Is it a must to use imitation maple syrup? What if I just substitute it for more pure vanilla extract?

4. Mags August 5, 2009 at 4:44 am - Reply

I love maple syrup.. and that's the Aunt Jemima variety. Imagine how much I'd love the authentic stuff. Lovely cupcakes Shelby.

5. natalia August 5, 2009 at 5:57 am - Reply

Ciao ! I love your maple syrup stories ! I've never seen how it is made not even on tv !!

6. Coleen's Recipes August 5, 2009 at 8:36 am - Reply

We are BIG maple fans, I look forward to trying these cupcakes. Make sure you check out my blog today, I mention you!

7. Aggie August 5, 2009 at 10:44 am - Reply

Oh that frosting looks heavenly…I am a big fan of maple syrup…these look scrumptious!! It was great cooking with you again this month Shelby!!

8. Marthe August 5, 2009 at 10:48 am - Reply

These look delicious! I'm bookmarking these, just have to get my hands on some imitation maple flavoring!

9. Jamie August 5, 2009 at 11:18 am - Reply

Shelby,
    Those look great. Another fun "dinner" we had. I loved hearing about you growing up with maple syrup. What memories those must be.

10. Bellini Valli August 5, 2009 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing these delicious maple cupcakes with the ladies at our Virtual Supper Club Shelby. Growing up in the eastern proninces I remember visiting the sugar shack in March well.

11. Jessie August 5, 2009 at 12:46 pm - Reply

I love putting light maple syrup in oatmeal, it tastes delicious. Those cute cupcakes look so yummy!

12. Barbara Bakes August 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm - Reply

My kids love maple bars, so I'm sure these would be a hit!

13. Flourchild August 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm - Reply

What a great recipe and they look very tasty! I will have to try these out on the kids. They like maple bars so Im sure these will be a hit!

14. Ingrid August 5, 2009 at 2:33 pm - Reply

MMMM, all those maple dishes sound delish! Your cupcakes look good and I'm drooling over the wax in the snow you described! I really don't know where to start…my heads spin from it all.
    ~ingrid

15. Patsyk August 5, 2009 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Oh, those cupcakes look so wonderful! Thanks for sharing the info on CL!

16. Pam August 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Could that frosting get any better? I love maple!

17. pigpigscorner August 5, 2009 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Must be really flavourful with the maple!

18. haleysuzanne August 5, 2009 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Those look just delicious! And I love the sound of the maple iced raised donuts….always a favor of mine when I can get them at Krispy Kreme!

19. Karine August 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm - Reply

I grew up in a place in Quebec where there are about as much sugar shacks as houses (I am almost not joking….). I love maple syrup but I have never had maple cupcakes…. it looks delicious!

20. the happy couple August 6, 2009 at 12:03 am - Reply

sounds yummy – like a pancake cupcake!

21. Helene August 6, 2009 at 1:13 am - Reply

Was nice having a virtual Dinner with you. Those cupcakes looks so yummy. I want to make them so bad. 🙂

22. Donna-FFW August 6, 2009 at 2:46 am - Reply

Love all the maple links you gave here.. have to try the pork chops and the bread. One question do you use grade a or b?

23. Cookin' Canuck August 6, 2009 at 3:56 am - Reply

I'm so glad you went with maple syrup rather than bologna! These look and sound phenomenal.

24. Linda August 6, 2009 at 11:16 am - Reply

Great choice, HoneyB! They look very inviting–YUM!

25. Miakoda August 6, 2009 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Looks so sweet. They're light, eh? I'd love to have one of those! 🙂

26. Katy ~ August 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm - Reply

yummmmm…. maple!!!! I would love TWO!!

27. Pam August 6, 2009 at 3:56 pm - Reply

P.S. Have a great time on your cruise you lucky girl!!!

28. CookiePie August 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm - Reply

OOOOH – I love love love LOVE maple – those cupcakes look amazing!

29. noble pig August 7, 2009 at 12:01 am - Reply

I think Maple is by far one of my favorite flavors. And double maple…yum.

30. Sara @ Our Best Bites August 7, 2009 at 5:09 am - Reply

Yum! I think those look fantastic.

31. Kim August 7, 2009 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Oooh, I love your story about wax on snow. I've never heard of this, but it sounds delightful and reminds me of my dad's snow ice cream (half and half, sugar, and an egg mixed together and poured on fresh snow). I would love to see the maple syrup making process. Thanks for sharing this!

32. Mary Ann August 7, 2009 at 4:01 pm - Reply

What a great way to use maple syrup. I love the pure stuff. Have a great time on your cruise!

33. Family Cuisine Food And Recipe August 11, 2009 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Looks Tasty ! Thank you for sharing. Cheers !

34. Tangled Noodle August 25, 2009 at 2:32 pm - Reply

I can guarantee that Mr. Noodle will love these! He is so particular about specific flavors for specific foods and when it comes to baked goods like cakes, donuts, etc., if there is a maple-frosted option, that's what he'll choose every time! Needless to say, your double maple cupcakes look delicious!

35. […] could make my parents co-birthday cake or cupcakes I had a hard time deciding if I should make the double maple cupcakes or German chocolate Bundt cake. After consulting with my mother, it was for her birthday after all, […]

36. Anonymous January 9, 2020 at 10:59 am - Reply